Friday, September 21, 2012

My most brilliant idea today

Every so often I have a spark of brilliance, usually born out of desperation.  Today's was a doozy if I do say so myself. 

Here's my problem:  I make bread a LOT.  I use honey as the sweetener for my bread recipe.  Honey crystallizes.  Crystallized honey is not ideal for my recipe as it is beastly difficult to get out of the bottom of a 1/2 gallon jug. 

Half-gallon jug of nearly-totally crystallized honey.  The other jug in storage was worse.


Possible solution:  Microwave it!
Problem: I don't like the idea of radiation + plastic, AND it re-crystallizes SO fast when I microwave it. 

Possible solution: put the jug in a pan of warm water
Problem: What the heck!  It'll NEVER melt that way!  It looked the same two days later!

Possible solution: turn on the heat under the pan.
Problem:  This.
My awesomely melted jug-bottom.  Luckily it didn't melt THROUGH, so I was able to coax the honey out and into another container without major sticky mess.

Possible solution: Boil the water, then turn it off, place the jug in the hot water and let it melt.
Result: Not too bad.  I have actually done this, but it still take SO long and I have to repeatedly remove the jug, bring the water to boil and do it again. 

Today's brilliant little epiphany:  SPOONS!!!
 I thought about my roasting pans that have those little wire drip things that raise the chicken up above the pan bottom.  Whatever those things are called... I don't have one small enough to fit in the bottom of the pot I soften the honey in.  I thought... maybe if I use spoons to lift it up, yada, yada.  My initial spoon idea didn't work, BUT the spoons fell to the bottom of the pan and voila!  I have a nice little raised surface to set my jug on in the bottom of the actively boiling pan of water! 

Oh, I just love when something works out right.

The results:  I have been boiling this jug of honey for only about 20 minutes and it's almost entirely liquid!  :)  Happy me!

No comments:

Post a Comment