Wednesday, October 24, 2012

We're off!!!

This is Erin, reporting live from the Colorado Springs airport, which apparently doesn't open until 4am, despite warning international travelers to check in at least 2 (or sometimes 3) hours ahead of boarding time. 

We got up this morning at 2am (after going to bed at about 10:30pm - seriously, I did try, but things happen, you know?), dressed, ate a banana, locked up, and my wonderful friend and visiting teacher, Jan, took us to the airport just before 3am.  We arrived at the airport at 3:20am, and attempted to check in at the self-check kiosk.  There was not an employee in sight anywhere.

The first kiosk asked us to scan our passports, but didn't have a scanner. (FAIL!)
The second kiosk HAD a scanner, but would only accept a passport when the 9-year-old scanned it.  (figures)

Still, neither would allow us to finish.  They insisted that we needed an employee to help us.  (problem!)

So, we stood around for 40 minutes with a woman who was missing most of her teeth and "had to go have a couple cigarettes" in order to "deal with these people".  Lashi took the opportunity to weigh all of our bags, find out that one was overweight, and shuffle things around.





So, finally, at 4am, employees trickled in and brought the place to life.  It was cake after that.  We checked in, checked our baggage, passed security, and now we're sitting here at Gate 11. 
Antigone is doing her school work.  She said that it was easier to wake up than she thought it would be.  Lashi is reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (He says, "This will teach me how to not offend people.")  After I finish this, I will start reading "Mark of Athena", which I bought myself for my birthday.  Life is good.


We leave for Chicago in a little over another hour. 


3 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking about you guys and praying that everything continues to go smoothly. I can't wait to see a flood of pictures of Fiona in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in China, eat good food, take lots of pictures! I don't need to tell you to enjoy Fiona, or make good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete